Finally we were able to realize a very stable DEFT Linux 7 release, solving all problems responsible for postponing the release date for RC1. We performed several tests on different computer platforms: laptops, servers and desktop PCs. Our main focus was based on Lenovo, DELL, ASUS, Acer, Apple, IBM laptops, IBM and DELL servers as well as Acer, Lenovo and Dell desktop PCs. We tested everything both booting as a live CD and installing the distro on the test machine: compatibility tests suceded with excellent results.
From this year DEFT 7 will also add more support to mobile forensics: we added several tools that allow you to analyze files and databases used in new generation smartphones (Android and iPhone). From the next release there will be a section completely dedicated to Cyber Intelligence.
There has also been a complete review of reporting functionalities, we included KeepNote, an excellent tool that allows the logical organization of collected evidences.
As for the official roadmap, we still have a small delay on releasing DART (Digital Advanced Response Toolkit) which will be available when it will be STABLE probably in the final release of the DEFT 7 distro by the end of this month. In the final Deft 7.0 (including DART) release you will also find a pre-configured vmware virtual appliance, a stand alone version of DART along with the user’s guide (Italian version) ( we plan to publish the english translation in the first half of 2012).
Following you can find the main new features in DEFT Linux 7
- Based on Lubuntu 11.10
- Installable Distro
- Linux kernel 3.0.0-12, USB 3 ready
- Libewf 20100226
- Afflib 3.6.14
- TSK 3.2.3
- Autopsy 2.24
- Digital Forensic Framework 1.2
- PTK Forensic 1.0.5 DEFT edition
- Maltego CE
- KeepNote 0.7.6
- Xplico 0.7.1
- Scalpel 2
- Hunchbackeed Foremost 0.6
- Findwild 1.3
- Bulk Extractor 1.1
- Emule Forensic 1.0
- Guymager 0.6.3-1
- Dhash 2
- Cyclone wizard acquire tool
- SQLite Database Browser 2.0b1
- BitPim 1.0.7
- Bbwhatsapp database converter
- Creepy 0.1.9
- Hydra 7.1
- Log2timeline 0.60
- Wine 1.3.28
This year project volunteer’s collaboration with the project was extraordinary! Beside me (SteveFratepietro), these heroes have actively contributed to the project:
- Massimiliano Dal Cero, DART coauthor and he also wrote some implementations on the Linux side
- Sandro Rossetti, Paolo Dal Checco, Valerio Leomporra and Davide Gabrini: for DART tools selection and beta testing
- Meo Bogliolo: for Hunchbackeed Foremost
- Marco Giorgi: for Cyclone
- Emanuele Gentili and Sandro Rossetti: for the Cyber Intelligence and OSINT part (it will be released in the first quarter of 2012)
A heartfelt GRAZIE (thank you) to all of you.
We are grateful to the people of Cyber Marshall (www.cybermarshal.com) for allowing us to insert scripts Dropbox Reader ™ in the final stable release of Deft 7.
The gold release of DEFT 7 will be released January 31, 2012
Please report any bugs here: https://launchpad.net/deft – bug[at]deftlinux.net
Download DEFT Linux 7 RC1 – md5: 082384050a762c4bf617a79223c89d69Read More